A Year's Worth of New Things

 

One thing that worked for me was to keep a list of all the new things I did in that first year.  I'd never run a household completely on my own, or cared for the kids alone, or made huge life decisions without a partner.  (of course, now I'd argue that I actually did all those things on my own before, but I had another person in my orbit who seemed to be there with me.)

I decided to keep a list on my phone of everything I did that I hadn't done before.  I added new things to the list for the full 12 months after he left.  Here's what it looked like:

-got oil changed--on my mom's car as I didn't have a vehicle after he left and she lent me hers.
-got my own car--I've never had a car where I was the sole driver
-took car to mechanic--also got my own mechanic 
-jump started a car--with the help of the lovely lady across the street 
-turned off the furnace
-turned on the air conditioner
-called a repair person for the air conditioner
-learned how to clean the filter on the furnace/air conditioner
-turned the furnace on
-fixed my sink
-hired an electrician
-bought new house insurance
-bough new car insurance
-got plumbing fixed
-used a nail gun
-decluttered house
-hired a lawyer
-applied for Legal Aid
-got my own cell phone plan (huge as he was the tech person in the family)
-moved my home phone
-got own internet
-caught up on all the outstanding utility bills--this was sorted in the divorce
-bought a new bed 
-bought a winter coat--sounds little, but he kept telling me there wasn't money for me to have a new coat, despite my previous one not fitting.  (see my post on financial abuse)
-bought new stylish clothes
-got my haircut when I chose and in a style I chose
-bought a new dryer from scratch and dent and paid cash.
-filed my own taxes, and on time!
-practiced self care
-went to the movies alone
-slept alone in the house as the kids were at their father's.
-paid for the mortgage and utilities alone.
-became the sole breadwinner in the home
-drove long distance as the only driver


I am sure I missed some things on my list because there was a whole lot I did, especially in that first year, that I had never done before.  It was a difficult year, but I grew a lot, and I started on the road to healing.  I have to keep making an effort to step out of my comfort zone and try new things. 

If you make a list, let me know how it goes.  I hope you look back on it and see how far you've come! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Money Matters

Use Your Phone to Help You Heal

YouTube is Your Friend for Home Repairs